Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Flushed

Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization
by W. Hodding Carter

"The unsung hero of human history was, of course, the Brain of Drains, the Hub of Tubs, the Power of Showers, the Brewer of Sewers...the humble plumber." -- W. Hodding Carter

Here's a quick description/summary from Amazon -


When we consider the amenities that really make a difference in our well-being, surely good plumbing must rank near the top. But rarely have we taken the time to appreciate the engineering marvels that bring clean water into our homes with the turn of a tap and the flip of a lever. Until now.
Witty, anecdotal, and thoroughly entertaining, Flushed chronicles the long and notable history of plumbing, while following Hodding Carter's travels and travails around the most underappreciated pillar of civilization. It's a winning combination of history, science, and firsthand experience -- a book that will both entertain and educate those who have never contemplated the hidden intricacies of this miracle of everyday technology.

This book is amazing :)  I have no idea what made me put in a request for it on paperbackswap.com, but I think I read somewhere that it was a fascinating book.  To be honest, it sat on my shelf for quite awhile until I finally decided that I should just read it so I could put it back on paperbackswap.  It blew me away - I'm not one for "bathroom" talk or anything related to suchthings (as anyone who knows me could confirm), but he presents the information in such a compelling way!  It's easy to read, but also gives a lot of information.  Plus, at the end he gives some great things happening in India where they could really use some sanitation help.  The inventions are fascinating.  It's been a few years since I last read it, but I could read it again...maybe this will be my beach reading this year.


   
civ·i·li·za·tion  (noun)
1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.
2. those people or nations that have reached such a state.
3. any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group.
4. the act or process of civilizing or being civilized
5. cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation



No comments:

Post a Comment