Sunday, February 23, 2014

A surprising weekend

The ladies at my church had a surprise luncheon for me this weekend, it was so incredibly sweet of them.  I was absolutely stunned, I had no idea there would be other people at lunch, I thought I was just having a lunch date with my sister.  We had fun talking and catching up, they even had cards and gifts for me - which was even more unexpected.  You know you have friends at church, but when I call them my church family, I don't use the word family lightly.  It was so special, and made me feel so loved.  Here's a great poem a friend wrote just for the occasion:

I want to say good-bye to a friend of mine
who will soon be leaving us for a time.

You'll be getting on a plane and heading out yonder
to a great big land they call "Down Under".

Please take some time for a "walk-about"
you'll see some great sights, there is no doubt.

There's wallabies, koalas, and kangaroos,
you may even see an Aborigine too!

You will be speaking in "Aussie" when you return,
when for family and home your heart does yearn.

Now I come to the end of this rhyme,
best wishes to you and have a good time!
by Rick Stewart

There were so many touching cards and the notes were so very encouraging - below are two of my favorite cards :)  It's always nice to know you're loved and especially when they tell you in an unexpected way.




Then to top if all off, my favorite 10-year-old came home from college for the weekend so that I could see her one last time before I headed off.  I had been hoping she would somehow make it home before I left, since I couldn't get down to see her, but wasn't sure it would happen.  My younger brother and I, who just arrived home from an adventure of his own, went over to her house to hang out with her family and she popped out from behind the counter :)  We had so much fun, I left with a headache from laughing so hard for so long....  All those things make me wonder how I could ever want to leave.  I don't want to leave, not really....I just want to visit other places too.


sur·prise (verb)

1.  to strike or occur to with a sudden feeling of wonder or astonishment, as through unexpectedness 
2.  to come upon or discover suddenly and unexpectedly
3.  to elicit or bring out suddenly and without warning

(noun)
4.  an act or instance of surprising or being surprised.
5.  something that surprises someone;  a completely unexpected occurrence, appearance, or statement.
6.  a coming upon unexpectedly; detecting in the act; taking unawares.

No comments:

Post a Comment