Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Your First Love

I suppose I should let you all know that my speech at the Gawler Light Rotary Club went pretty well.  I got a free dinner and a thank you pen for my efforts, so I guess that makes it worth it, right?  I'm only sort of kidding.  Personally, I think I could have given the speech better, but I always get nervous and start straying from my notes.  I'm better at writing speeches than at giving them, so my perfectionist tendencies kick in when I realize that I'm off my notes and I get annoyed with myself.  I can read in public really well, but people don't really like to be read to....  All that to say, thank you to those who were praying for me.  I sat with Bev, the woman who asked me to speak, and before I left she told me that if she can think of any interesting things to do she'll send me an email or call me, or if I found anything I wanted to do that I should give her a call, so that was really nice of her.

Going through all my photos from my trips to Japan and thinking about all the things I've experienced there made me quite nostalgic.  Then last night the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha" was on TV so I just had to watch it.  Since Japan was the first truly foreign country I ever visited I've always considered it my first love.  I even wrote a several of my research papers in highschool on various Japanese things, including geisha.  It's one of those places that will always be with me. Although, when you add it all together, I've spent about 6 months of my life in Japan I still haven't visited Kiyomizu Temple, Tokyo, or seen the Sakura blossoms, so I'm thinking that if I stay in Australia until March of next year I might have to go back home via Japan and finally cross all my other Japan bucket list items off the list once and for all.  But then again, who knows what the next 9 months will hold.  Plus, I hear that flights to India from Australia are quite cheap and I've got a few places in India I'd like to see as well.  Who am I kidding, just about every country is on my list, so only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment