Tuesday, August 12, 2014

It was bound to happen...

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised it took so long to happen, what with me playing so many games of volleyball since I've been here.  And of course the "it" to which I'm referring is me hurting myself.  Emma and I headed off to volleyball (since I didn't get off work until 6:30pm we missed the VB clinic) and had a lot of fun.  The group we played most of the games with were very relaxed and easy-going with lots of joking around.  After most of them had to leave we ended up playing a 3-on-3 game with 4 other guys and at some point during that game I bruised the palm of my hand.  The photo to took doesn't really show it very well (so I'm not going to bother posting it), but it's quite sore and it hurts to grip anything.  I don't really remember the event causing the bruise, but by the time I got back to my room you could start to see it.  Oh well, most definitely could have been worse.  On to the good news.

If you haven't already seen my FB status updates then let me enlighten you all.  I'm 75% certain that I will shortly be getting paid to teach English to Japanese students here in Cairns!  I met with Shoko, the woman in charge, this morning to go over the schedule for next week when the students are here.  Afterwards we talked about the job opening.  I got to help for a few minutes with the lesson for this morning's class as well, so that was nice.  The woman currently doing the teaching said that it's incredibly easy and you just follow the pre-planned lessons.  Shoko said that I still need to have a skype interview with her bosses in Japan (she'd already forwarded my resume to them), but the office in Japan is closed for the next week or so for school holidays.  With that being said, she told me that at some point next week she would have me sit through the 4-hour training session.  So I'm not entirely sure I've got the job, but she wants me to do the lesson for the students next Saturday!?  So, now I've got to try and figure out how to make the shifts here at the hostel work with the ones she needs me to work.  My boss here said they can work around the schedule of my paid employment when she first interviewed me, so we'll have to see if they really mean that or not.

It's a bit humorous to me, this whole situation. I've never really quite understood why God had me go back to Japan last time.  Without going into too much detail (that would be a whole post in and of itself) I didn't go to Japan to teach English, but that's what I ended up doing for 3 months.  While I enjoyed the experience it wasn't the easiest three months of my life, that's for sure.  It looks like maybe now I have my answer.  He knew this opportunity would come up if I had that experience and since I have the experience I feel capable of taking the job.  So things are looking good at the moment, besides the bruised palm.  And even with the bruised palm I'll still probably end up at the volleyball courts tonight anyway - just have to refrain from spiking the ball :)

No comments:

Post a Comment