Saturday, September 20, 2014

These are the days

Not a ton to report on here in Cairns.  I spent Friday (yesterday) morning wandering around town with Pukari, so that was a nice change of pace.  We stopped in this awesome little traditional Japanese shop down an unassuming little alley. I'd noticed the sign before, but never bothered to go down the alley and check it out, but Pukari wanted to buy a sake set from them so we stopped by.  It goes without saying that I adored the shop.  They had a lot of second hand yukatas and kimonos, lots of old paintings and silk-screen art pieces, even some pottery as well.  After we parted ways I slip-slop-slapped (well, actually just slop and slap) and spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool reading my new book, "Abu Dhabi Days, Dubai Nights".

"One of the most successful health campaigns in Australia's history was launched in 1981, when a cheerful seagull in board shorts, t-shirt and hat danced his way across our TV screens singing the jingle. 'Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat...' The Slip! Slop! Slap! slogan is the core message of the Cancer Council's SunSmart program and has become part of the Australian language."
 It was a pretty quiet night at volleyball last night, which is a bit unusual for a Friday night.  Played a few games with Jack, Bal, and Kunis (I just love him, he's so sweet), Wilson arrived in time to join a few games as well - I hadn't seen him in a few weeks.  My little brother (who I'm quite certain never actually reads my blog) would have been quite proud of me last night.  They kept setting me the ball and the majority of the time I was able to get it over the net!  I might have even jumped on some of them.  Anyway, as I was getting ready to leave Jack pulled me over and told me that he was trying to organize some of the regulars/locals from volleyball to get together and go to the movies this weekend and wanted me to know if I'd like to go along.  Since I'm working this afternoon/evening he wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it this time around, but he said he'd text me next time they tried again.  It's the thought that counts and it was nice of him to try and include me.

No comments:

Post a Comment