Thursday, September 25, 2014

Visa Options

It was an interesting night last night.  There was to be a going away party/dinner for Sam & Lisa at the restaurant at about 7:30pm, so I had to leave volleyball early.  When I got back Alicia told me that it probably wouldn't be until about 8:30pm.  No problem, I'd have time to shower before hand.  By 8:30pm I got a call saying they were cancelling and would try to reschedule tomorrow (which is now today).  Since I had to be up at 5:30am this morning that was fine, I figured I'd check my emails and head to bed.  While sitting on the balcony I got a text from my Mom telling me that she was at the hospital with my Dad and he would soon be having eye surgery.  Sometimes I'm just so thankful for technology!  I called my sister and she told me she'd update me via text throughout the day as things developed.  It was much earlier than my usual bedtime (I don't usual get back from volleyball until about 9:30 or 10pm), but I knew I had to be up early.  Apparently the guests at the restaurant downstairs had missed the memo about my early work shift because around 10:30pm they sang "Happy Birthday" quite loudly, and then didn't stop singing for the next hour or so.  I was serenaded by "Ain't No Mountain High", "I Love You Baby", and even "Fresh Prince of Belair", among others.  They were certainly enjoying themselves...  I couldn't fall sleep (their singing didn't help of course), and then off and on throughout the night I would roll over and check my phone to see if my sister had any updates.  He did well with the surgery and is now waiting on a follow-up appointment to determine future surgeries and what not.  So everything is looking as well as can be expected.  Thankfully, I didn't actually feel too tired today, despite the lack of sleep last night.  I spent a rather quiet morning in reception and on a whim decided I'd check and see what other visa options there are for Australia.  I seem to keep meeting people who have been here longer than 1 or 2 years and can't help but wonder how they're all allowed to stay in the country.  The one guy I met last night has been here for 8 years now.  Even with a 2 year working holiday visa and another 2 year student visa I'm not sure how that could work.  Maybe they all find jobs with companies that will sponsor them to move here, that's all I could come up with, at least being an American that's the only options available to me other than a tourist visa.

 I resisted the urge to take a nap and instead spent my afternoon by the pool reading my book, swimming, and chatting with David (the German guy for whom I typed up the resume a few weeks back).  All my afternoons at the pool seem to be working, because this morning when I got up and looked in the mirror, the girl staring back at me had a tan.  Yes, you read that correctly, a tan.  I almost feel as if I just confirmed a sighting of a UFO.  I'm wearing my sunscreen (I'm often reminded of the high rates of skin cancer in Australia), but I've still managed to get a bit of color - yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment