Monday, October 20, 2014

Another Beach Day!!

I was pleasantly surprised when Louis walked into reception yesterday morning as I was about to finish my shift.  He'd just come from church and decided we should go to lunch together before we met up with Pukari and Emma.  I guess I should back up a bit, Caterina was having a birthday party later in the afternoon and Louis, Pukair, Emma, and I were all going to attend together.  Anyway, the sushi place he wanted to take me to wasn't open yet, and since I needed to at least buy Caterina a birthday card (when I'd originally been invited I didn't realize it was for her birthday, I thought she was just getting together with some friends at Kewarra Beach), we headed to Cairns Central.  We had our sushi, bought the card and after browsing the mall for a bit decided to sit and enjoy some coffee at Gloria Jeans.  He can always make me smile, and I had to laugh when he wanted me to explain why I don't like Obama.  His English is limited and he doesn't know how the U.S. government is supposed to work so it was interesting trying to relay my point of view.  I did the best I could, either way it was interesting to hear some of Korea's history from his point of view (that's where our conversation rabbit-trailed from after my explanation).  We ended up talking too long and had to hurry off to Rusty's Market so I could buy some fruit before we met up with Pukari and Emma.

The party started at a little beach bar where we had some cake and gave her the cards and gifts.  It was a delightful little spot that I'm told usually has a live band.  Other than Simona (from the Leukemia event) and Mei (from our dinner at Iyara), I didn't know any of the other guests.  I take that back, I had met Roberto (Caterina's partner) once at volleyball, but it was only briefly and we didn't really speak since I was playing volleyball and he had come to spectate.  Emma hadn't been to the beach yet in Cairns (because the city itself doesn't have one), so the four of us decided to take a stroll along the water.  By the time we got back from our walk it was time to head to the BBQ's to cook dinner.  After dinner we did play a bit of volleyball in a circle, but it wasn't pretty.  It was funny, but it wasn't pretty - lots of feet, knees, and heads were used in place of arms and hands so the ball didn't stay in the air too long.  All in all it was a really fun night and I loved hearing so many Italian accents again and spending another day by the beach certainly didn't hurt.  I do apologize that I don't have any photos, I took my camera, but never pulled it out because Pukari was taking lots of them - I'll have to get them from him later.  The water wasn't as blue at Kewarra as it was up towards Port Douglas, but there were still lots of palm trees, sand, and seashells....

No comments:

Post a Comment