Friday, October 31, 2014

Where's the line?

Something I've struggled with since coming to Australia, and my blog suddenly having readers, is knowing how much to put out there.  Where's the line between being open and honest and having some privacy?  On one hand everything I blog is on the internet for anyone and everyone to read, but at the same time 98% of my blog posts in the last 8 months have been for friends and family back home.  The tricky part being that I don't actually know who reads my posts; it could be my 10th grade math teacher, my chiropractor, or friends of my parents.  I guess I'm just always trying to balance letting you all get a glimpse of my life in Australia, letting you know what I'm up to, but at the same time realizing that for many of the readers, they would never know this stuff about my life if it was all happening back home.  Maybe sometimes I'm just more aware that blogging can make my life a bit of an open book, and I don't even know who is reading it...

After spending an annoying amount of money yesterday afternoon buying clothes and shoes that fit the dress code for the staff agency I headed to the library.  I was able to see Louis for a bit before he headed off to work; he works about 2 blocks from the library so we often meet up there.  Anyway, I'm still trying to help Michael get his phone working, but it's difficult because he can be so ornery and he's started drinking again so he doesn't even remember our conversation from when we first started the process.  I don't really have much experience with Australian mobile phone networks and processes so it's a bit confusing.  I have to call the company today and try to get it all straightened out - he wants to keep his old phone number, but the transfer won't go through for some reason.  Anyway, due to the phone company drama I arrived at volleyball a bit later than usual.  When I arrived two of Rav's friends (Ray & Steve) were there playing so I played a couple games against their team.  They had gone one other night before I'd met them in hopes of meeting me (I guess Rav had told them I play volleyball all the time), but I hadn't been there.  I, of course, heard all this second-hand from Rav after their failed mission.  It was a really fun night at volleyball - everyone was super easy-going and just playing for fun.  I have a semi-funny, but mildly embarrassing story about burning hot tofu, but I think I'm going to keep that one under wraps.  I hope you all had a fantastic Reformation Day (or Halloween, depending on which event you celebrate).  As always, feel free to comment or shoot me an email.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Abigail, Just wanted to let you know that I read your posts, not every day, but I pop in a couple times a week to see what is going on. I think you do a very good job of sharing but not sharing to much, but then again unless we are you, we don't know what you are not telling us:) from my perspective you are a great writer and I enjoy reading about your life down under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eve - thanks for commenting. I'm glad you enjoy it, and you're right - you don't know what I'm not telling, but still sometimes I find it hard to not tell things because then I feel as if I'm being dishonest or something, which is crazy because I don't HAVE to blog.

      Delete